Thursday, July 23, 2009

Thing #8

RSS and readers are an excellent way to organize the various blogs and news sources one frequently visits. It was a little overwhelming at first, as there were numerous staff recommended sites on my Google reader that I didn't necessarily want. I did figure out to take those off. I can see the extreme benefits to this tool if one is a frequent visitor to certain sites. I do not particularly visit numerous blogs over and over again. I honestly don't have time. If I did I would be on the computer for hours and never get anythine else done.

I would use this application in my personal life more, if I could have a page for the websites I frequently visit. My email account, bank account, facebook, wedding websites, etc. but these are not blogs. I don't think the reader allows you to have website links just blogs. Please let me know if I am misguided.

In my classroom and school, there could be ways to integrate this. I am sure there are various blogs that are appropriate for students. A station in science could be researching on the blogs for the newest information on a certain topic we are studying. All the blogs could be in one spot so the students would only have to go that one reader to access information. Personally, to keep up with the most recent studies and trends on certain topics, I could have blogs that discuss our unit topic. I could check it each morning and update students with the newest information on, for example, Pluto not being a planet. It could be easy for me to go to my reader, click on the blog and instantly have the most recent data.

I am sure there are endless blogs and resources to be used with reader. It will take some time to find them but I know this can be very beneficial to all of us in education once we locate the blogs that will help us.

No comments:

Post a Comment