Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Thing #14

I learned something important during Thing 14. I was already familiar with Technorati so I thought I could just browse through it and have a strong sense of the site and how to use it effectively. My plan didn't work out exactly as I imagined. After a long time of my own personal seraching and experimenting I gave in and watched the two videos. The videos were extremely helpful and gave a brief but efficient run down of the Technorati updates. Sometimes it is ok to admit that you need to learn from others first, and then try to master the task at hand.
Following the videos I was excited to use Technorati and saw many great potential uses for myself. However, when I went to the site it did not appear to be updated the same way the video described. I decided to contact Technorati and inquire into my concern.

Did anyone else come across this?

What I did like about this site is the classic blog searches that included the similar heading you would see in a newspaper. I also like how one can view the top 100 blogs and popular tags. In a quick glance this could give me a grasp of popular topics around the world in that moment.
I did not ping my blog with the site because but if I ever start another blog of my own I will be sure to use this site to connect with other bloggers.

1 comment:

  1. I had the same feeling after watching the videos. I was looking for some of the menus shown in the screen shots in the first video. The Technorati I was looking at did not look the same. I was able to do some of the same searches but I had to poke around for a while. I wonder when the video was made? Very confusing.

    ReplyDelete